Monday, May 27, 2013

Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge


I visit many Long Island parks, but I prefer to feature only my neighborhood ones on my blog. However, I am going to make an exception this week. Yesterday I drove out east to the Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge in Shirley. Cecile Wertheim, who died in 1974, in her will gifted this property to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The purpose of her donation was to protect the Carmans River Estuary for migratory birds. The refuge seems well-maintained with a new visitor center and some river overlook decks that provide views of the water.  Although I didn’t get a chance to go into the visitor center, I did take a hike along the river. I saw many painted turtles and birds, including terns, ospreys, and warblers.  My favorite photos of the day (although not my best) were of a yellow warbler feeding a worm to its mate or baby. This alone made my trip to the refuge worthwhile.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home