Monday, August 19, 2013

Caterpillar

This week feeding from the milkweed plants at the Connetquot River State Park were some Milkweed Tussock Moths. Monarch butterfly caterpillars also like to feed on milkweed, but I didn't see them. Years ago, I had a friend who planted milkweed in her backyard so she could observe Monarch caterpillars. I don't feel the need to do this, because I know of places in Connetquot where the plant can be found and caterpillars observed. During my walk on Sunday, I met with the park supervisor, who, as we were talking about the caterpillars, mentioned to me his general rule of thumb for classifying them. If they are smooth they are usually butterflies, and if they are hairy they are more likely moths. Something to keep in mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home