Monday, August 18, 2014

Bald Faced Hornet vs Damselfly


A Dragonfly and a Bald Faced Hornet on Deep Water Pond Bridge
I saw quite a few dragonflies and damselflies on Saturday at Connetquot River State Park. The one in the photograph above I spotted while I was at the Deep Water Pond Bridge. I wasn't the only one that noticed him. A bald faced hornet did too and he was on the hunt for it. Whenever the damselfly returned to perch on the bridge, the hornet would also land on the bridge and then slowly creep up towards it. When the hornet got too close, the damselfly took to the air and a chase would begin. The damselfly would out-fly the hornet, but would return to the very spot where it all began for another round. During the time I spent at Deep Water Pond, the bald faced hornet had no luck capturing the damselfly, although he was pretty persistent. He seemed determined to win. I left them while they were still battling it out.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home