Sunday, September 2, 2012

Box Turtle

This is probably a male because it has red eyes.
Connetquot River State Park Box Turtle
Not too long into my walk on the green path,  I came upon a box turtle. It did not seem disturbed by my presence even when I got close to take pictures.  I can easily tell if I’m bothering a box turtle because it will withdraw into its shell. Other turtles, such as snapping turtles, cannot totally retreat into their shells like the box turtle can. This is because the bottom shell of the box turtle is hinged in the front and back, making it able to totally clam up. This one was not alarmed though, and seemed as interested in me as I was in it. I have also included a picture of the turtle’s fascinating face. In the eye of this beholder, I think it's beautiful.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home