Monday, September 3, 2012

Water Snake


I had mentioned in last week's postings that although I knew there were snakes at Connetquot, I had never seen one. Well, this week I saw another one or more likely the same one I saw last week. It was near the Deep Water Pond Bridge, in a spot I normally look for dragonflies. What makes water snakes different from most other reptiles is that they do not lay eggs, but instead the mother gives live birth to her young.This sunbathing beauty was coiled up on a branch hanging out along the pond's edge. Even though they are not poisonous, I would not pick one up or get too close. They will bite, omit a foul smell, or even defecate if they feel threatened. Those are all very good reasons to leave them alone.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home