Monday, December 30, 2013

Reflection

Bald Eagle at Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge

 
Snowy owl at Robert Moses State Park
 Since tomorrow is New Year's Eve, I am reflecting on what gifts of nature I have encountered during the year. It is difficult for me to pick just one favorite, so I will have to mention two. Although I walk mostly in the Connetquot River State Park, I must admit that my two favorite bird sightings this year did not occur there. One occurred at the Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge in Shirley where I saw, for the first time in my life, bald eagles. In fact, I visited the refuge twice and on both occasions saw them. I was told by a park employee that there is a pair of eagles that nest there. I will certainly return there in 2014 to see how they are doing. My other favorite sighting was of a snowy owl. It was on the beach at Robert Moses State Park. It was later reported in the Long Island newspapers that bald eagles and snowy owls were being spotted by many birders this year on Long Island. However, it still feels special to have seen them.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home