Saturday, December 15, 2012

Red-breasted Nuthatch





Last weekend I took pictures of a white-breasted nuthatch at the Connetquot River State Park bird feeders. This weekend at the same feeders, I saw a red-breasted one. The red-breasted nuthatch is less common than its white-breasted relative. I read in birding books to look for them among spruce and pine trees. Well, now I know I can also see them at the Connetquot park bird feeders which makes finding them easier. These birds are fun to watch because, like woodpeckers, they are climbing birds that creep up and down trees looking for insects. However, unlike the woodpeckers, they do not use their tails as supports. In my eyes nuthatches resemble wrens but act like woodpeckers, which is an interesting mix.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home